I know I know…I promised a post on some nail colors and here I go with a skin care review. But you may forgive me after reading this post because Pai is pretty…well, amazing, actually!
So let me start by telling you something about the condition of my skin. It’s always been oily, very oily but as I get older my skin behaves according to the weather. If it’s hot it gets oily, if it’s cold it gets dehydrated and super sensitive. And the older I am the more sensitive it gets. And this winter was a total nightmare. Absolutely everything left my skin burning and lobster red. I could go ’round to our local kindergarten and scare the kiddies🙂 Even those famous micellar waters from pharmacy brands such as Eucerin, LaRoche-Posay or Bioderma did nothing good for me. Some burned like h… some very hot fiery thing. And after reading London Make-up Girl’s review of the Chamomile and Rosehip Sensitive Skin Moisturizer I went to pai’s own website and ordered samples.
Forward a few weeks: I’m going to give my first impressions of this line, respectively of their three products aimed at sensitive or hypersensitive skin. I have the Chamomile & Rosehip Sensitive Skin Cream 30ml, Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser 100ml and Rosehip BioRegenerate Fruit & Seed Oil Blend 30ml. And as far as I know the packaging has no effect on the quality of skin care, let me just state that I drool over their design. Simple, classy, yet cute (make any sense?).
Chamomile and Rosehip Sensitive Skin Cream
- has a medium texture but not too balmy or oily in the least
- while the smell is herby (as you would expect from an all natural skin care line) I think it’s very mild and dissipates quickly, feels soothing
- I need less than one pump to cover my face
- when my skin was dehydrated, rough, peeling etc. (TMI?) it didn’t feel moisturizing enough but now when my skin is “just” dehydrated it feels very comforting and soothing, no flaky skin anymore
- the best thing though: it is ultra calming – there are no words to describe my wonder when I applied a little dollop on my face, warily, expecting at least slight burning and some red patches… NOTHING at all. I swear I could hear my skin breathing out in a relief!
- it’s also wonderful that unlike many natural lines this moisturizer is not loaded with alcohol or beeswax and of course no artificial fragrances, phenoxyethanol, propylene glycol and parabens
- the scent is a bit stronger than the one in the moisturizer, but still very mild for a natural line. It’s also very pleasant, I can detect more roses than camellia
- it’s not a balm, definitely a cream, the texture makes it easy to glide all over my face
- removes all make-up, haven’t try it with a heavy duty one though
- while it removes mascara, it’s a bit of work and quite messy so I prefer to use one of my favorite bi-phase eye make up removers
- also no burning or reddening my face
- you need, again, less than one pump (or one full with a heavier make-up) to clean your face so I assume that 100ml is going to last quite a while
Rosehip BioRegenerate Fruit & Seed Oil Blend
- this is the only product I didn’t try first as a sample but after reading all the things it has and does and how many magazine awards it won…I was sold🙂 (yep, I am that easy)
- have you ever drunk rosehip tea? I did as a kid and I still remember the scent of a freshly brewed cup. Well, this is exactly how the oil smells, it’s beautiful, feels so fresh and organic without all those (sometimes risky) essential oils
- the oil is of an almost bright orange color, feels balmy and you only need one drop to cover your whole face
- I’m not sure about using this oil in the heat of summer on my oily skin but any other skin type shouldn’t turn into a slick mess after applying this oil
- leaves a silky feeling
- I even used it under my eyes and there was no adverse reaction
- on the other hand, some bits of my face, still being overreactive I guess, did react ever so slightly tingly but that lasted two seconds and that was it
- did I mention the scent of freshly brewed… I did, didn’t I?
So after a few days my skin is not reactive anymore, no red spots (or red lobster face), no burning, no nothing. My face has still a few flaky spots but I’m sure they are going to disappear quickly. My face isn’t like a sandpaper anymore but feels silky smooth. I keep touching my face and liking what I feel.
I will definitely update this review when I finish the products.
I purchased my set on beautybay as they ship internationally and often have free shipping specials on.
Aproximate prices (from the pai website):
- Chamomile & Rosehip Sensitive Cream – 30ml/1 fl oz : $44, £24, €32
- Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser – 100ml/3,4 fl oz : $45, £25, €30
- Rosehip BioRegenerate Fruit & Seed Oil Blend – 30ml/1 fl oz : $35, £20, €24